There are lots of ways a community, businesses or people can take action to protect their local environment.
When oils and other pollutants reach our rivers and streams they don’t only effect the water environment and all the plants and animals that rely on the water. The oil also effects people’s enjoyment of the landscape and could affect their wellbeing and health too.
Be Oil Care Aware
Looking after your oil goes beyond meeting the legal storage requirements – although this is a good start.
Taking care of your oil from when it’s delivered, in storage, as you use it and right through to disposal will save you money and reduce the risk that your oil will cause pollution.
Check our advice:
- Yellow Fish – keep your local community clean and protected, ‘only rain down the drain’
- for owners of oil tanks in flood risk areas – make sure your tank can’t float away
- to protect your oil from theft – safeguard your valuable asset, theft is an increasing issue
- motorists – if you change your own oil you need to dispose of it safely and legally
- to boat owners and hire companies – it’s important to take care not to let oil reach the water that’s all around you
- for people using biodegradable lubricants – what you need to know